- Prior to retiring from the classroom, Tom spent 30 plus years as a high school teacher and coach at both Western Technical and Commercial School in Toronto and King City Secondary School in York Region, where he was in charge of the basketball, football, and baseball teams. Tom formed a dynamic coaching duo with Mike Mallory at KCSS as the varsity boys baseball team won two York Region Varsity Baseball championships in 2001 and 2005 as well as deep runs at the All-Ontario Prentice Cup championships.
- Many college and university baseball players went through Tom and Mike’s progressive and successful program at King City. Tom also refereed basketball at various levels, both FIBA and Federation, and served on the executive of the York Region Association of Basketball Officials as president for many years.
- Outside the history classroom, Tom spent many years coaching fastball and baseball at both the house league and rep levels and was a certified Level 3 baseball umpire for 25 years.
- Tom brought a wealth of veteran coaching and umpiring experience to a previous Team Ontario 16U squad and was a calming influence on its players. As a veteran coach of over 30 years, Tom’s knowledge of the game, his capacity to manage adolescent athletes, and his success at high levels of the sport are significant assets for Team Ontario. Tom’s positive influence on the 16U’s was evident in his first road trip as a Team Ontario coach: the 16U’s won three of their four games at a Fall World Series Event in Chicago, Illinois, and the boys enjoyed a successful team-building excursion.
- In the summer of 2018, Coach Ellison was promoted to the position of Team Ontario Astros central zone scout, and his acumen in spotting baseball talent proved to be prodigious in terms of the quality of players that have joined our program. Coach Ellison’s contributions to our program are invaluable, and he serves as a key member of Jim Stewart’s recruiting team.