- Coach Dan Gillis is in his first year on the 18U coaching staff and will serve as Coach Booth’s bench coach to keep our big team organized and disciplined. Coach Gillis grew up in Nova Scotia, playing multiple sports including baseball under the tutelage of East Coast legend Sam Turnbull (grandfather of Olympian Blayre Turnbull) and Ray Slovaka (formerly of the Pittsburgh Pirates organization). He was also a competitive rugby player in Nova Scotia and at Saint Mary’s University (SMU).
- Dan has coached baseball since the age of 16 and has been involved in several organizations in Nova Scotia and Ontario. He was on the staff of the first Rep team in the Stouffville Baseball Association. He distinguished himself as a coach for several years with the Newmarket Hawks, capping his career with an OBA championship team at the Minor Midget level in 2016. He is an NCCP provincially certified baseball coach.
- He has also coached at the high school level and was co-founder of high school baseball at Sir William Mulock Secondary School in Newmarket. He also started high school hockey at Mulock SS, winning a York Region championship in the team’s second season. He has also coached rugby for many years in York Region high schools. Coach Gillis is a high school principal at Sutton District High School; but prior to this, he spent four and a half years as a vice principal at Bill Crothers Secondary School, where he helped many young athletes move on to university sport in Canada and the United States.
- Dan continues to coach community hockey. He sits on the executive for York Region Athletic Association for high school sports and the Ontario Federation of Secondary Schools Athletic Association Principals Council.
- Coach Gillis brings a wealth of coaching and administrative experience to the Team Ontario Astros and has been selected to sit on the board of directors of the organization. Welcome to the 18U coaching staff, Coach Gillis!