- Veteran player and coach Al Nixon joined Team Ontario’s staff in 2016 and assisted the 16U squad during their successful American Midwest road trip through Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana in July 2016.
- Al is a baseball lifer who started playing at age 4. He grew up in Scarborough, playing for Agincourt up to and including his Midget seasons and left to play Junior Baseball in Leaside for 4 seasons. It was with Leaside that Al started catching full-time.
- Al signed with the Intercounty Maple Leafs and also played Senior Baseball with Leaside. With Leaside, Al won several OBA championships and lost three Senior Canadian Elimination Finals to the Windsor Stars. After the final trip to the Canadian Elimination Finals, Al changed teams and played for the Thornhill Reds of the Metro Senior League until the end of his playing career in 2004, when he retired at the age of 38.
- Al switched his focus to coaching when his twin boys, Shane and Drew, turned 4. He coached the Markham Mariners for 11 years, and his teams won several YSBA championships and an OBA championship in 2014. Al is a veteran coaching presence on the 18U coaching staff, where he had the opportunity to coach his sons Shane and Drew for two years with the Astros before they departed for their successful college careers in Oklahoma and Iowa, respectively.
- The Team Ontario Astros benefit from Al’s coaching savvy and playing career successes at the IBL and Provincial levels. Al remains a student of the game, and he looks for all the small edges for our players to prepare them for baseball at the college level. He was selected as the Team Ontario Astros Coach of the Year in 2018 for his contributions in building the program and the brand of the Astros on and off the field. Al Nixon is a valued member of the Team Ontario Astros community.