Bullying and Harassment
- Team Ontario Astros and the Dugout Baseball Facility are committed to providing an environment for sports in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to participate in an environment which promotes equal opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices, harassment or bullying.
- Team Ontario Astros will not tolerate harassment or bullying among its players, coaches, parents or employees. Harassment or bullying takes many forms, but can generally be defined as a comment, conduct or gesture directed toward an individual or group of individuals, which is: insulting, intimidating, humiliating, malicious, degrading or offensive.
- Team Ontario Astros views bullying behaviour as, “an act that is initiated and repeated.” It includes “in person” or “online” conduct, or perceived power or power imbalances between a player and the individual based on factors such as size, strength, age, gender identity, or gender expression that is unwelcomed by the individual. In its most extreme form, harassment is an offense under the Criminal Code.
- Abuse occurs when someone uses his/her power or position to harm another, whether emotionally, physically or sexually. If the individual’s behaviour is intended to, or the person ought to know that the behaviour would be likely to: cause harm, fear, or distress to another individual or group of individuals, including physical, psychological, social, emotional harm to their reputation or property, thereby creating an unwelcoming environment for any player or person, then this behaviour will be dealt with. The behaviour includes use of any physical, verbal, electronic (i.e. cyber-bullying), written or other means.
- Team Ontario Astros will encourage all of our members to learn, through information and education, to recognize and understand what constitutes harassment or bullying. An individual, who perceives any activity as a form of harassment or bullying is encouraged to tell the offending party that the activity is not appreciated. If the offending behaviour continues, the complainant is encouraged and supported in notifying the President of Team Ontario Baseball or the Vice President of Baseball Operations. Response will be taken promptly and with integrity, while respecting the rights of all those involved.
- Team Ontario Astros will strive to provide the safest possible playing environment for all participants and encourage all members to do whatever is required in their circumstances to eliminate and protect against all forms of harassment and bullying.
- Team Ontario Astros encourages all of its members to report situations believed to be harassment, bullying or abuse immediately and in confidence to the President or Vice President of Baseball operations.